Last Friday my friend Alice flew home from Pennsylvania making our friend circle complete! To celebrate our reunion we had a sleepover at her house to catch up. Although I love college and especially my friends from SD, my high school friends are like my sisters. I made these brownie like cheese bars using a recipe from Martha Stewart.
* Vegetable oil cooking spray
* 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 3 large eggs
* 21/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line dish with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both long sides, then spray parchment.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Increase speed to medium; beat until incorporated.
3. Reserve 1 cup of dough; cover, and refrigerate. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until base is set and edges are puffed, about 25 minutes. Let cool in dish on a wire rack.
4. Mix cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread over cooled base; crumble reserved dough on top. Bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in dish on wire rack, then lift out using overhang. Cut into 24 squares. Squares will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
Good but a little bit too chocolate and rich for me! However, the cream cheese adds a nice tangyness.