On Wednesday we all went to Safa’s house for lunch. Connie and I were spies and tried to sneak up to his room. I’ve never seen Safa run that fast but I made it into his room while he caught up to Connie and pushed her away. I think running up to Safa’s room has to be my new favorite sport. So I made this for Mr. Lele. I found some lemons around the house that I weren’t sure if they were real lemons or a hybrid between oranges and lemons because they were so orange. My dear friend Constancia came over to keep me company and take pictures. Recipe taken from William Sonoma.
For the lemon syrup:
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 1-lb. loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, stir and toss together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until blended, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture along with the milk and lemon zest. Beat until blended and smooth, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the pecans.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup: In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Set aside, stirring occasionally; don’t worry if the sugar does not dissolve completely.
7. Remove the bread from the oven and transfer the pan to a wire rack. Using a fork, gently poke the top in several places. Stir the syrup, then slowly drizzle it over the hot bread. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn the loaf out onto the rack, top side up, and let cool completely. Makes 1 loaf.
Wow, this was so delicious! The bread was so soft and moist and tasted just like a lemon bar turned into bread. it was the perfect amount of tart and sweetness. My friend Connie tried to steal some of the bread from Safa during tutorial and Safa even gave this to his teacher!