Yesterday was my friend Clarissa’s birthday. Clarissa is the younger sister of one of my closest friends, Constance. She is turning 10 years old and is extremely adorable and tiny. She always borrows my High School Musical DVDs and I always talk to her when I come over to Constance’s house. I needed an excuse to try a new recipe so I decided to make her a cake. Originally I wanted to make a white cake but since I had no white milk or cake flour I decided to go with my standby, Hershey’s chocolate cake. I was in such a rush yesterday since I had to go see Twilight so I think this is the fastest I’ve ever made a batter.
Originally I was planning to do the oreo filling and chocolate frosting but after making the cookies and creme frosting I had enough to cover the whole cake. Tip I think it’s easiest if you crush the cookie pieces into really small pieces so it’s easier to spread the frosting.
Recipe from www.hersheys.com
HERSHEY’S “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” Chocolate Cake
* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk (I used chocolate milk)
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil0)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Cookies and Cream Frosting
I halved the recipe since I didn’t have enough heavy cream.
recipe from http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/
450ml heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
15-18 chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, crushed into medium pieces (place them inside a thick plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
In the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff. Gently fold in the crushed cookies.
I had a bit of the cake and some of the frosting and I think the combination is delicious! The frosting tastes just like cookies and cream. Happy Birthday Clarissa!