Today seems like a major baking day, I made cupcakes, brownies, and cookies. These cupcakes are for my relatives on my mom’s side who are coming over for dinner. At first I was planning to make a peppermint flavored cupcake but I realized I had no peppermint extract. 😦 Booohoo so I just made regular cupcakes. I found this recipe on the back of the Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder box and halved it since I didn’t want 30 cupcakes. One of my best friends calls this recipe her “secret recipe” even thought I know she just took it from the back of the cocoa powder box. Haha. We’re used this to make cakes in the past and it’s very good.
Pictures from me!
Recipe from www.hersheys.com
HERSHEY’S “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” Chocolate Cake
* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk (I used chocolate milk)
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil0)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
(Also from the back of the cocoa box and from the same website)
PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
The cupcakes turned out beautiful, moist, and delicious. I always use this frosting but since it’s homemade it tends to harden. This recipe has been successful and for my friends’ and I’s future Xmas party I hope to use this recipe but instead make it into peppermint chocolate.